A matter of cleanliness for 500,000 people

All of the wastewater that accumulates in the large city of Nuremberg, Germany, is purified in two closely situated purification plants.

Purification plant 1 is by far the larger of the two purification plants and has a capacity sufficient for 1,400,000 inhabitants (EEC). The plant in West Nuremberg was commissioned in 1931. Since 1956, ongoing expansions and adjustments have been undertaken in the plant in order to increase the purification performance and to ensure that the plant is now up-to-date with the latest technology.

Purification plant 2 is the smaller of the two large purification plants in Nuremberg and is designed to serve 230,000 inhabitants. It was put into operation in 1913 as the "Nuremberg South purification plant" and became the first large purification plant in Bavaria. Since 1984, the system has been completely reconstructed.

Both purification plants are now two-stage biological purification plants (aeration/aeration) with a downstream sewage filter.

When it rains, up to four cubic meters of wastewater per second can be piped through the plant. The purified water then flows into the Pegnitz river. A total of around 130 employees ensure the smooth and safe operation of the Nuremberg purification plant.